Navigating the complexities of divorce involves numerous legal considerations, and one crucial aspect is alimony. At Bostick Law, our Memphis alimony attorneys recognize the significance of addressing alimony matters with precision and expertise. We are dedicated to providing comprehensive legal support to ensure fair and just resolutions for our clients.
Call Bostick Law today at (901) 582-7153 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our alimony attorney in Memphis.
What is Alimony?
Alimony, also known as spousal support, is a financial arrangement that the court may order as part of a divorce settlement. This monetary support is designed to address the economic disparities between spouses, acknowledging each party's financial contributions during the marriage. Alimony is not automatic and must be determined on a case-by-case basis, considering various aspects.
At Bostick Law, we understand the intricacies of alimony laws in Tennessee and are adept at guiding clients through the legal process. Whether you are seeking alimony or defending against a claim, we are here to protect your interests.
Types of Alimony in Tennessee
Alimony can take various forms, each serving a unique purpose based on the specific circumstances of the divorcing parties. Those include:
- Temporary Alimony: Also known as pendente lite alimony, this type of support is awarded during the divorce proceedings to ensure both parties maintain a reasonable standard of living until a final resolution is reached.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: This is intended to support a spouse until they can acquire the skills or education necessary to become financially self-sufficient. It often involves a predetermined plan outlining the steps the supported spouse will take to achieve independence.
- Permanent Alimony: In certain cases, a court may award permanent alimony when one spouse is unlikely to become self-supporting because of age, health, or other elements. This type of alimony continues until the death of either party or the remarriage of the supported spouse.
- Reimbursement Alimony: This is awarded when one spouse has supported the other in pursuing education or career opportunities during the marriage. It aims to compensate the supporting spouse for the financial sacrifices made.
Determining eligibility for alimony involves carefully examining various factors by the court. Some of the key considerations include:
- Financial Need: The court assesses the financial needs of the spouse seeking alimony, taking into account their standard of living during the marriage.
- Ability to Pay: The court evaluates the paying spouse's financial capacity to provide alimony without compromising their own financial stability.
- Duration of the Marriage: Longer marriages often increase the likelihood of alimony being awarded, as the financial interdependence between spouses is typically more significant.
- Contributions to the Marriage: The court considers each spouse's contributions to the marriage, including financial, homemaking, and career sacrifices.
- Age and Health: The age and health of both spouses are important factors, as they can impact a person's ability to secure gainful employment.
If you are facing divorce and alimony is a concern, our Memphis alimony lawyers at Bostick Law are ready to provide the legal guidance and advocacy you need. We are here to navigate the complexities of alimony law on your behalf. Don't face these challenges alone. Contact Bostick Law today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward securing your financial future.
Contact Bostick Law today to get started with our Memphis alimony lawyer.
We Help with Complex EstatesWe'll analyze your situation and create the best strategy for you.
Affordable Legal HelpWe don't think quality legal help should break the bank.
Meet with Us VirtuallyWith virtual consultations, it's easier than ever to get started.